Tuesday, October 8, 2013

MED 6090 "We'll never survive." "Nonsense, you're only saying that because no one ever has." ~Buttercup & Westley

MED 6090 Master's Project

 Westley and Buttercup were fleeing Prince Humperdink and ventured into the Fire Swamp, but Buttercup was afraid.  Westley was so confident and calm about entering this dangerous and forbidden swamp that Buttercup innocently followed him.  At one point I thought "I just hope I survive to this point in the program."  Now it is almost finished, and I am almost through to the other side of the Master of Education Fire Swamp.  The quote points out that no one has previously survived.  I would like to guess that no one has gone through this program and survived as the person they were, not being changed in some way by what they have learned.

What have I learned?
Biggest lesson to come out of my project is that if I want something done, I have to do it myself.  Sometimes those who have committed to support me, aren't available either physically, emotionally, or willingly.  This actually boils down to taking responsibility; responsibility for my goals, actions, attitude, and success.  Another lesson concerns flexibility.  After deciding to pursue the project my heart wanted to do, I had to change to a related project at the last minute to accommodate the time allotted during one semester.  The original project would have had a very tight timeline in order to finish in one semester.  My committee was not available to meet in a timely fashion, so after a committee change, I also needed to change my project in order to complete it to be eligible to graduate in December 2013.  Graduating later was not a flexibility issue and also not an option.

What do the products of this class say about me?
I hope the products of this class speak to my persistence, interest in learning, and commitment to helping students become better people not just more well educated.

How will this aid my students?
One of the attitudes I value is taking responsibility for choices, taking responsibility for finishing and turning in assignments, taking responsibility for attending both physically and mentally, and taking responsibility for attitudes.  I enjoy holding students accountable because I am always amazed at how many of them step up to the plate and do their best.  It is sometimes surprising to watch the growth in their learning and maturity.  


Artifact
The artifact I've chosen for 6090 is my project proposal.  It is in the proposal stage because I have not yet finished the project.  I'll update the link as I finish each stage of the research.


No comments:

Post a Comment