Friday, October 18, 2013

MED 6030 "But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me." ~Vizzini

MED 6030 Advanced Educational Psychology

This quote shows Vizzini's mental prowess in confusing other people into believing that he is intelligent, or maybe he's just convincing himself.  Either way it is funny.  

What have I learned?
I learned more about the theories of some amazing psychologists.  I also learned that I didn't really know much about educational psychology before I took this class.  

What do the products of this class say about me?
The things I learned in this class reflect an interest in how people learn; not just children, but people of all ages.  I did an action research project with my mother who has dementia.  At the time she was capable of many things including staying by herself, making bread in the breadmaker, personal hygiene, and following instructions easily.  Now, 4 years later, her mental faculties have declined significantly.  I'm still fascinated by the progress she made during that project.  I love understanding how people learn most easily, and how I can facilitate their greatest growth.

How will this aid my students?
In preparing and presenting about Robert Gagne's theory of learning I gained some really good tools for helping my students learn effectively.  I plan to use this way of teaching.

Artifact
I am including two artifacts for this class.  The first is an action research project which I completed with my mother who has dementia.  The second is the Prezi I used for a presentation on Gagne's teaching/learning philosophy with Diane Halbasch.  We began the presentation with a song set to the tune of Jingle Bells.  Talk about getting the attention of the class, and embarrassing the hell out of the two of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment