Friday, October 18, 2013

MED 6020 "You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you." "You seem a decent fellow, I hate to die." ~Inigo and Westley

MED 6020 Diversity in Education

This quote illustrates how we make decisions about others before really getting to know them or trying to understand their background.  How often do we judge others based on external criteria such as skin color, style of clothing or hair, tattoos, the car they drive or what part of town they live in?  I have found it a good habit to see people as people before seeing them as a hairstyle or skin color.  The bottom line is that most people have the same life goal: to be happy and successful.  Let us all share in helping each other with that.

What have I learned?
This class reminded me that before I make judgements about people I need to consider a few things.  First, do I know the person?  Second, does my judgement really matter to me or them?  Third, will my judgement cause me to treat them differently in a negative way?  And fourth, will my judging them make me happy or cause me to be a better person?

What do the products of this class say about me?
I hope the products of this class are a reflection of my commitment to be fair, non-judgmental, patient, tolerant and to treat others how I want to be treated.

How will this aid my students?
My students will find that I treat them all fairly.  In attending my class, my student will feel how much I care about them and their learning.  That caring can sometimes be a motivator for students who otherwise might give up.

Artifact
A presentation given by me and another student on Ethnicity/Nationality and how it generally effects the learning environment at school and at home.  I've also linked the handout associated with the presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment