Friday, October 18, 2013

MED 6060 "No more rhymes. I mean it!" "Anybody want a peanut?" ~ Vizzini and Fezzik

MED 6060 Instructional Strategies

This quote is one of my favorites in the movie, in addition to be being a good strategy for learning.  Rhyming can help with many aspects of learning.  It can be used in every subject, and many situations.  My favorite use of rhyme is in poetry, which in turn can be used in dance class or as part of a performance.  So many strategies to help students learn are forgotten in an effort to go with the trendy new procedure.  Back to the basics, for me, is a productive way to regroup and simplify lessons and thoughts in order to teach more effectively.

What have I learned?
Objectives for each lesson which are focused and communicated facilitate organization and effective learning for each student.  Time management is also an important strategy to help get the most out of each class meeting.  Interactive practice is something I feel strongly about.  Students need to see the instructor modeling effective practice strategies in order to appreciate the value of practice.  

What do the products of this class say about me?
I hope the products of this class reflect my commitment to effective teaching practices.  After sitting in classrooms where the instructor paid no heed to best practices in instruction, I better understand the situation of students in my classroom.  They need creative ways of learning and practicing their new skills. They also need a teacher who is as engaged in the material as the students are expected to be.

How will this aid my students?
In being better able to empathize with my students, I will be that teacher who loves the subject they are teaching.  I will work to engage my students in a way that they will love the subject as well, which will make learning new concepts more exciting, enjoyable, and manageable.


Artifact
For my artifact I chose to include a final reflections paper.  It followed my thoughts throughout the semester on the things we were learning. I've also included a research paper about interactive practice that was completed with Diane Halbasch.

No comments:

Post a Comment