Friday, October 18, 2013

MED 6050 "Inconceivable!" "You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means." ~Vizzini and Inigo

MED 6050 Curriculum Design, Evaluation, and Assessment

While Vizzini only actually says "Inconceivable!" five times in the movie, for me it is one of the most memorable quotes.  But I actually chose this quote because of Inigo's comment.  When we assess our students, it is important that our assessment gives us the information we seek.  If our methods of assessment are not testing what we think they are testing, our information may not be what we think it is.

What have I learned?
If I assess what was taught using methods that rely on something that was not taught, I might receive results that are not accurate.  Only when I am careful to assess what I want to know, using methods that have been taught, will I get accurate feedback about my students understanding of what I hoped to teach.  

What do the products of this class say about me?
It is my aim to exemplify my ability to create unit plans that will help my students learn.  The lesson plan I included as my artifact would be as fun for me to teach as I hope it would be for my students to participate in.

How will this aid my students?
I feel it is important that students understand the objectives of the lesson.  Why keep it a secret?  If students understand what they are trying to accomplish, they can find the information they need more readily, I believe.


Artifact
We created a unit lesson plan that showed all the elements that we had studied.

No comments:

Post a Comment