Tuesday, October 15, 2013

MED 6085 "As you wish." ~Westley

MED 6085 Developing a Project Proposal

I took MED 6085 twice.  The first time around, my mother had emergency heart surgery.  That shook things up a little bit.  I learned a lot about nursing, but not so much about moving forward toward my degree.  The second time around, I bought a house and moved, started dating a wonderful man and broke up...could anything else go wrong?  I started to wonder if I should drop the program, but I was so close to finishing that I couldn't give up.

I chose the quote because it was actually used by my professor the second time around.  She used it in reference to the interaction we would have with our committee chair.  If the chair made a suggestion, our response was to be, "As you wish."

What have I learned?
I spent many hours debating whether or not to pursue my original project idea. I finally chose to go back to it and write yet another literature review--completely different than either of the previous ones I wrote for 6000 or 6080.  It often felt like a big fat mess.  The lesson for me was to follow my heart.  I also got a reminder about writing; tell people what you are going to tell them, tell them, then tell people what you just told them...in other words, introduction, body, summary. 

What do the products of this class say about me?
I am quite passionate about the intervention used in the proposal I wrote for this class.  In fact, I've been using it with my dance students for four years with unmeasured, undocumented, and often unexpected positive results.  Although my students were having fun, I also felt that they were becoming more healthy individuals as well.  Part of the reason I wanted to do this project was to document the positive results so that more people might take notice.  I want to be an advocate of these exercises.

How will this aid my students?
I hope my students will see and understand the importance of following your heart, and not allowing doubts and other peoples' opinions to influence you when you know the path you need to be on.

Artifact
I have linked a copy of the proposal I wrote during this class. This is the project that I still want to complete, but it will have to wait a while.  The project I am completing for my degree is related to the attached proposal, and could possibly provide some helpful additional preliminary data.

No comments:

Post a Comment